DIY: How to Decorate Your Futon Cover
A futon is originally from Japan. It is a type of mattress with multiple uses: it can be a mattress, a convertible bed, a platform bed, or even a sofa bed. Due to their useful and comfortable feathers, futons became a common necessary piece of furniture in many households around the world. Since futon covers come in a wide variety of styles, not only they protect your mattress, but they also serve as house decoration. Today, we gonna share with you some DIY ideas to make your own futon and redesign your room. Let’s begin, shall we?
Interesting DIY Futon cover ideas
Classic white sheet cover
A white sheet cover is a classic! It will make your room look undeniably classy, and you can add on some colorful cushions to make it more interesting and of course, more comfortable.
Strapped futon cover
Many people have problems with covering their bed or futon with a sheet because the cover will usually slip off the mattress. This problem is solved if you attach the straps to the sheet.
Adding the straps is not difficult at all and it takes only a few minutes. Here is a little step-by-step guide on how to strap your futon cover:
- Find a piece of elastic and two hooks stitched at both ends.
- Measure the futon or bed to make the straps accordingly.
- After that, sew two hooks for each of the four corners of the cover.
- Finally, attach the straps to each corner and voilà!
DIY Lattice pattern with no sew
Lattice futon covers usually feature a plain background color, like dark-tone colors, off-white, or even yellow-orange tones, while being covered with abstract shapes. Looking at a futon with a lattice cover is always interesting and gives your room a boost of energy.
To make your very own lattice futon cover (without any sewing), follow the steps below:
- Choose any fabric material that you like, measure the length, and cut a few long rectangular pieces according to your measurements.
- To make your pieces look cleaner, you can hem them with fabric tape.
- With your long pieces of fabric ready, it’s time to lattice them together! Follow the pattern: one over, one under, one over, etc.
- After finishing the lattice, you just hold the end together and place it on your futon.
Beautiful Nirvana embroidered style cover
Nirvana embroidered futon covers are originally from the United States, and often present beautiful patterns such as flowers, leaves, or butterflies.
You can match your embroidered futon with some classy crochet pillows and your room will look cozier than ever! We recommend choosing the cover with a multi-sided zipper so it is easy to put on and remove for cleaning.
Crochet futon cover
Decorating your futon with a crochet cover reminds us of mom’s handmade gifts, and it usually fits perfectly with crochet cushions. Together, this duo makes your room look comfortably warm, inviting, and homely.
However, making a crochet futon cover will require 2 things: crocheting skills and time. But don’t worry, it is easier than you think! Before you start, you can scatter through the web to look for a pattern that you like. Once you find it, follow the steps below:
- Measure the futon size
- Create different crochet pieces to be sewn together: two big pieces for the seater and the backrest, and two small pieces for armrests (if applicable)
- Stitch all the pieces together and you’re good to go!
Just make sure that the pattern that you choose is not too difficult. We recommend that you should begin with easy patterns like squares, rectangles, circles, or rows. If not, you might feel discouraged along the way, and you might never finish your DIY project.
Fitted sheet futon cover
A fitted sheet cover is the best choice if you don’t want to spend your time doing any difficult DIY project and don’t want to spend something overly expensive either.
You can find a fitted futon sheet cover from any retail store like Walmart and choose the cutest one that matches your room. Just make sure you buy the right size and wash your new sheet before covering your futon with it.
Twin cover futon slipover
This twin cover style is made from two single cotton slipovers sewn together. You can choose the same color or 2 different colors to make it look unique. What you need for this DIY are a heavy-duty sewing machine, and your skills, of course.
If you never stitched any fabric before, it might be a bit complicated. Normally, it takes around 2-3 hours to achieve a beautiful futon cover.
Stapled futon cover
This is the easiest DIY futon cover of them all! To make on, just follow our little guide below:
- Firstly, you just need some colorful sheets. We recommend choosing waterproof, spill-proof, and dustproof fabrics since it is easy to clean.
- Secondly, you need a commercial stapler that you can easily find at any hardware store.
- Finally, place the sheet over the futon and pull the sides neatly. Then, staple the ends of the fabric to fix the cover with your futon.
Make a video