Even with all the healthcare modern innovations, a lot of people nowadays tend to turn back to traditional herbal remedies. Instead of consuming manufactured medicines often containing chemical substances, people prefer natural herbs that generally offer a safer treatment. In fact, our ancestors have registered a long list of useful medicinal herbs. This indigenous knowledge has been transmitted from generation to generation. One of the most effective and therapeutic medicinal plants in the world bears the name “Estafiate”. Throughout this article, we will talk about everything this small herb can do.
What is Estafiate?
Estafiate, also known as Artemisia ludoviciana (its scientific name), is a native plant commonly found in North America and Canada. This plant belongs to the same family as sunflowers and dandelions, and blossom tiny green or yellowish flowers coupled with fuzzy gray-white leaves. The plant is normally 1-2 feet tall and grows well in rocky or sandy oil.
The origin of Estafiate:
The origin of this plant goes back several years. The estafiate was used by gypsy healers, native Mexicans, and other traditional herbalists for various healing techniques.
According to some indigenous tribes in America and Europe, the previous herb was often associated with magic and dreams. Moreover, it was also used for many other things such as ceremonies, burning smoke, or as a pungent smudge.
What are the Healing Benefits of Estafiate Plant?
Estafiate is well-known for its curative properties and has been used to heal many diseases by our ancestors.
According to ethnopharmacological studies, the estafiate is best used as follows:
- Drinking 2 cups of estafiate mixture with warm water every day can help relieve PMS troubles and menstrual cramps in women. That’s why this plant is also named “women’s sage”.
- Due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, the herb has the ability of healing burns and bruises.
- To reduce pain. You can apply crushed estafiate leaves over the painful area as its opioid mechanism is highly effective for blocking pain.
- For better digestion, you can slowly sip one ounce of estafiate for 15 minutes before a meal, the latter will stimulate your digestive system by activating the production of digestive enzymes.
- For malaria treatment, we suggest drinking estafiate tea for 4-5 days.
- Estafiate also contains lactone glycosides, which can help greatly with Type 2 diabetes.
- Estafiate tea made from leaves and stems can cure stomachache (colic), diarrhea, fever, as well as intestinal worms.
- Thanks to its analgesic property, ingesting an extract of estafiate can treat rheumatism and hemorrhoids.
Moreover, you can mix estafiate and alcohol in a 1:2 ratio. Then, add 5 to 6 drops of this mixture in a cup of warm water, and you got yourself a beautiful and healthy drink!
Safety Precautions before consuming estafiate
Even though the estafiate herb has lots of benefits as described above, there are still some risks that you should be aware of. Here are the main safety precautions to take before using estafiate:
1. Consume estafiate in an appropriate portion
Estafiate plants are not only advantageous, they can also become poisonous if you over consume them. Indeed, over consuming estafiate could lead to the following problems:
- Thujone, a ketone, and monoterpene which could possibly cause convulsions if consumed in too high a dose.
- Terpenes, a toxic chemical compound that could harm the nervous system.
The key to take estafiate slowly, in small doses. The specialists suggest that one teaspoon of dried leaves for one cup of water is enough. Just make sure you steep it not longer than 15 minutes. Otherwise, the estafiate mixture will be too concentrated and could pose a threat to your health if you keep repeating the same mistake.
2. Be aware of the side effects.
In some cases, the patients might feel dizzy or uncontrollably drowsy. The side effects vary from convulsions, delirium, paralysis, or even death (in rare cases), depending on how your body responds to the Estafiate.
3. Not everyone can safely take Estafiate
Estafiate in any form (medicine or even tea) is not recommended for pregnant women, lactating mothers, as well as young children under 6 years old. Moreover, people suffering from Parkinson’s disease and other neural disorders must avoid ingesting this herb.
4. Avoid the long-term consumption
It is true that drinking estafiate tea seems harmless for adults. That said, you should not be taking it repetitively on a long-term basis. As a matter of fact, there is still no medical research that can 100% support the use of estafiate as a complete medicine. Therefore, you should limit not only the amount per intake but also the period where you going to use the herb.
Now you have learned everything you should know about this amazing plant. As always, the best way to heal yourself is to avoid any form of self-medication and to consult your doctor before taking any medicinal herb.